This week, (August 23rd), my husband and I celebrated 20 years together!
As a way of honoring him, I have compiled a list of the top 20 things I love about my husband!
This is my tribute to the man I love. It’s a bit long, but you know you want to read it
1. He is a hardworking man. He gets up every day at the crack of dawn to provide for his family; rarely ever missing a day, and hardly ever complains. He sees providing for his family as his responsibility; his ministry. And I love him for it!
2. He always tells me that I am beautiful, (regardless of what I actually look like at any given moment). No make-up, or all dolled up. Sporting sweats and a stretched out t-shirt, or my sexy jeans and a fashionable blouse. Whether I haven’t showered in two days, or I’m clean and fragrant. At my heaviest, or at my smallest. Even nine months pregnant and HUGE, with greasy hair, and the acne of a 13 yr old going through puberty…well, you get the picture. And the thing is, when he calls me beautiful, he REALLY means it! Every time. How awesome is this guy?!
3. He makes me laugh. Even after all these years, we can laugh together. That’s HUGE! Truth be told, sometimes he makes me laugh when I don’t want to laugh- when I’m trying to be serious. But I’d take a man who can make me smile over a stoic, boring, doesn’t-know-how-to-have-fun kind of guy, any ol day!
4. He is humble. Not afraid to admit when he’s wrong. Always the first to say he’s sorry, whether it’s to me, or our kids, or whoever. He doesn’t think of himself as holier than thou, (despite what he might like you to think).
5. I LOVE his beard! Every length, style, and color. Yes, the colors- the browns, the reds, and even the grays. (However I don’t love how he chews on his beard when he’s bored. Gross.)
6. And his face! I adore every line in his face- lines that speak of age, growth, maturity, and wisdom. Lines that represent a life well-lived. The good times, and the bad. He only get sexier with time. It’s SO not fair!
7. His derriere. Yep, you heard right. Take my word for it- the man’s got a nice butt!
8. I love his servant’s heart. He shows love to others by serving. Always willing to make himself available to help out a brother in need. And trust me- the man don’t have much free time, (8 kids ya’ll), so it’s a true testament of his love, when he’s willing to give it!
9. His generosity is something to be admired, and sometimes rebuked, if I’m honest. For example, during the Christmas season, several years ago, I asked him to pick a few nametags from the Giving Tree at the local mall, so that we could purchase gifts for a few children in need. THE MAN CAME HOME WITH 35 NAMETAGS! 35 children who hadn’t been “chosen” yet, and were in need of gifts. When I asked him what happened, he simply replied that he couldn’t choose just one. Oy.
10. He makes me feel safe. He will fight for, and protect his family and friends at all costs. This is never in question. I pity the fool who ever tries to hurt his family!
11. He loves the Lord. This should be #1 on my list, but seeing as I did’t put these in any particular order, this will do. He strives to follow Him, and obey Him, to lead our family in His ways, and to model His life after Him. He doesn’t always get it right. Do any of us? But it is a top priority to him, and for this I am thankful!
12. He keeps me grounded. I sometimes have the tendency to fly off the deep end- go to extremes. He brings me back to reality. He helps me to consider different possibilities, to really think things through, to calm myself before making rash decisions. Sometimes I really dislike this quality of his, but I know that it’s for my good, (and everyone’s around me)!
13. He loves his children. There is nothing more attractive to a woman than a man who genuinely loves his kids! He invests in them, wants the very best for them, guides them, encourages them, disciplines them, and supports them. He is a good dad!
14. I love that he’s given me all these babies! I mean really- there’s not many who would put up with my extreme baby addiction! But he has. And deep down, I know that he secretly loves it as much as I do!
15. His sarcasm. Can I just get an amen here? Okay, maybe not everyone would love this quality, but I am extremely sarcastic, so I naturally need a man who can hold his own. Together, we might be a deadly combination, but we sure do have some fun! (Ya’ll should hear some of our arguments!)
16. He makes me a better person. Cheesy as it may sound, it’s true. We balance one another. He doesn’t put up with my crap. He pushes me to new heights, and challenges me in ways that I’m certain only he could. Together we are better!
17. His big mouth. You gotta love that, because it only makes me look better! Ha!
18. His goofiness! Simple but often underrated. You gotta be able to get silly, not be too proud to make a fool of yourself from time to time, and just enjoy life! He’s got this down pretty well.
19. He is faithful. I don’t ever worry about him being unfaithful to me, and not because he’s not a catch. He is! But because I know that this is of utmost importance to him, (as it should be), and he protects our marriage bed fiercely. And he admonishes our sons to do likewise. In today’s society where modesty is a thing of the past, marriage vows mean little, and pornography is as close as a click away, I appreciate his commitment to “forsake all others.” He is my hero!
20. He is my best friend. He knows me inside and out- the crazy and the sane. He knows what makes me tick, and the things that just plain tick me off! He knows what I’m feeling, (even when not expressed), and he knows how to comfort me. I simply cannot imagine the last 20 years of my life without him in it!
I love you, husband! ❤️